St John Medieval Museum and Coningsby Hospital

St John Medieval Museum and Coningsby Hospital

The Infirmary

The first floor Infirmary, now part of the museum, was created by Sir Thomas Coningsby in the nursing style of the 17th century for his twelve ex-servicemen and poor people from the City. They were tended by ladies from the city. Access to the infirmary was by the turret staircase in the north-west corner of the building. The modern staircase dates to 1972.

Nell Gwynne, born in Hereford, became a favourite of King Charles II and it is thought she persuaded him to adopt the Coningsby Red Coats for his Pensioners at Chelsea Hospital, London founded in 1682.

The display of spectacles has been donated by the Directors of Chave & Jackson, a pharmacy in the city, in recognition of the financial support given to the Opthalmic Hospital in Jerusalem by the Coningsby Trustees.


like us on facebookread our reviews on trip advisor

website designed and maintained
by Hereford Web Design